Monday, September 19, 2011

Hurry up and wait patiently!

"When you're waiting, you're NOT doing nothing. You're doing the most important something there is. You're allowing your soul to grow up. If you can't be still and wait, you can't become what God created you to be."
Sue Monk Kidd, "When the Heart Waits"

It seems that, whenever I have reached a certain goal or milestone, I immediately want to leap to the next thing, right away. As soon as I got out of college I thought, "Time to get married!" As soon as the last kid graduated from high school and left home my thought was, "OK, Next! Time to make a change!" But, just the this title of this book suggests, there is a need and a time to wait. Waiting has never been a strong suit of mine. I'm very impatient, and waiting seems like a waste of time...let's just get on with it, shall we? But, the heart needs to wait. The soul needs to quietly wait and mature and allow God to build up from within. The advice in this quotation from "When the Heart Waits" was the advice the author received from a monk at a retreat center. It was brought home to me when I was on retreat in June, basking in the silence of waiting. I'm so much more a "do-er" than a "wait-er." But there are times in our lives when the best thing we can do is wait. There is much being done within us while we wait. Love, heidi

No comments:

Post a Comment