Tuesday, November 8, 2011

The souls of the just...

"But the souls of the just are in the hand of God, and no torment shall touch them."
Wisdom 3:1

This reading is always so comforting to us when a loved one dies. I found myself thinking of my friend, Helen, who I was blessed to be with as she died last Ash Wednesday. Helen was rather late coming to the vineyard and she had such a hard time realizing that God loved her, really loved her. She had such a powerful sense of unworthiness and was always wondering how God could love an old lady like her! It was a real stretch for her to grasp God loving her in spite of all her imperfections (her salty language, for one!) I was constantly reassuring her, yes, God loves you...yes, God has created a place for you. Today, as I read this reading I find myself wanting to talk to Helen, "So, was I right? How is it?" For, I KNOW she is in the hands of God and I know she is OK. For God knows the beauty of our hearts and God welcomes us all, the late-comers, the prickly, those who appear to be on the outside looking in. The souls of the just are in the hand of God. Amen! Love, heidi

No comments:

Post a Comment