Friday, August 23, 2013

What's in a name?

"For wherever you go, I will go, wherever you lodge I will lodge..."
Ruth 1:16

I never liked the name "Ruth."  Growing up, my friend's mom was named Ruth and I always thought it was a dreadful name.  But two "Ruths" helped me to change my tune about this ancient name.  Not necessarily in order, but there is Ruth of the bible, Naomi's daughter-in-law, who is so devoted to Naomi and shows us all how to live generously and selflessly with our relatives!  And next, there was Ruth in the book and movie, "Fried Green Tomatoes."  Truthfully, the latter Ruth was so inspiring to me; the way she loved and was loved.  She, too, was devoted to her family and those around her.  She loved God and demonstrated that love by the way she loved others.  She was courageous and strong, too, which are wonderful attributes for a woman to have!  Today, let's think about the Ruths we may know, either in real life, the Ruth of the scriptures, or even a fictional Ruth we admire.  What can we learn from them? Blessings on your weekend! Love, heidi

No comments:

Post a Comment