Tuesday, June 14, 2016

Harmony begins at home...

"But I tell you, love your enemies and pray for those who persecute you."
Matthew 5:44

I had a lovely unplugged Silent Sunday the other day, which means I didn't even hear about the tragedy in Orlando until Monday morning.  My heart aches for the families of the lost and injured.  How long, Lord, how long? Yesterday, it felt like I was dragging around a boulder of despair.  I feel helpless to stop the violence, helpless to squelch the hate. What is the answer? And then, today's Gospel tells me exactly what I'm to do.  By loving those in my circle of influence, especially those with whom I may struggle, perhaps, I can make a difference in my little corner of the planet.  And if everyone does that, maybe there will be larger and larger circles of love. We can begin in our own homes, neighborhoods and towns, loving others and trying to understand those we feel are so different from us they feel like enemies.  Can we reach out to one person today with whom we disagree? Can we create one bond of harmony with someone we may have tried to avoid yesterday? Harmony begins at home, Friends, within our own hearts! Love, heidi

No comments:

Post a Comment