Friday, September 23, 2011

Live today!

"Waiting is the in-between time. It calls us to be in this moment, this season, without leaning so far into the future that we tear our roots from the present. When we learn to wait, we experience where we are as what is truly substantial and precious in life."
Sue Monk Kidd, "When the Heart Waits"

Always looking ahead to the new Big Thing can cause you to miss the Potentially Big Thing right now. I used to keep a calendar on my desk when I was in college and I carefully X-ed out each day as the sun set. I was totally living in the future, as if my life began when I finished school and not a minute before! The truth is, now I look back and am sad I didn't live more in that present. When I finally DID get out of school, the Big Thing that I had been marking time to reach really wasn't all that big or great. I had been looking to the future to finally live, and, in that process, missed living that time to the fullest. We do get caught up in the up-coming, don't we? We are old enough to be looking toward retirement as the next Big Thing, marking off years, or even days. Like, once in a moment of insanity, I figured out I have 500 Mondays til I retire! Good grief! (I didn't factor in Monday holidays, however, so it's possibly less). The point is, today may be all we actually have to live. If our hearts and minds are living in the future (or the past) we will miss this critical day of life. Live today, each moment, to the fullest! Love, heidi

No comments:

Post a Comment