Tuesday, October 25, 2011

Sit and wait...

"But if we hope for what we do not see, we wait with endurance."
Romans 8:25

I've never been a patient "wait-er." I've never been really patient at anything, but waiting is hard for me. My mom used to get me an Advent calendar each year prior to Christmas, so I could wait for the holiday with a little something to do each day. Waiting, just waiting, can be so hard. This scripture coincides with the book I'm reading called "When the Heart Waits," by Sue Monk Kidd, and she talks about this very scripture in the chapter, "Sitting While Jesus Prays." She talks about Jesus asking the disciples to sit and wait while he prays at Gethsemane (Mark 14:32). We all remember how the disciples fell asleep and Jesus was so disappointed they could not wait with him during this painful time. He didn't even ask them to pray...only to wait while he prayed. Waiting can be a gifted time, as I am learning in this book, but it is difficult to wait with endurance. We have a tendency to think just sitting and waiting is a waste of time. There are often lists of things to do while you wait so you use that waiting time to be productive. Just sitting and waiting has a bad rap of being wasteful. Today, let's think about how we spend our waiting time. Let's try to be more patient and use the time more productively--by just sitting with Jesus. Love, heidi

No comments:

Post a Comment