Tuesday, October 11, 2011

When God is silent...

"A wonderful thing about God's silence is that the contagion of His stillness gets into you and you become perfectly confident--'I know God has heard me.' His silence is the proof that He has. As long as you have the idea that God will bless you in answer to prayer."
Oswald Chambers, "My Utmost for His Highest"

I know I've learned so much this year about my need for being silent, but what is this about God being silent? I don't want God to be silent! I want God's answers and assurances! I want God to be obviously present! We can't BOTH be silent, for cryin' out loud! Or can we? This reading made me think about the times I have prayed and prayed and the answers just didn't come. For a long time. It seemed as though God hadn't heard me. If God had heard me, why didn't the situation change? Why didn't I get what I wanted? What Oswald Chambers is trying to convey here, I think, is that God's message may come wrapped in silence. And, when that happens, those of us who really trust God will be able to see God's presence in that silence. God is silent, so He must be working on it. That is faith, my Friends! Today, let's think about the times we have experienced God's silence and praise God for it, as Oswald Chambers suggests in the rest of this reading. For if God can trust us with His silence, God truly speaks to us. Love, heidi

No comments:

Post a Comment