Tuesday, December 27, 2011

Make it last!

"The Word became flesh and made his dwelling among us, and from his fullness we have all received."
John 1:14, 16

It never ceases to amaze me...last night, as we approached one of the places the city has set aside for dumping Christmas trees, we took bets as to how many would be there. I said at least one, maybe two. As we drove by, even we were shocked that there were maybe twenty discarded Christmas trees at the dump-spot, the day after Christmas! It's like, around here, people are eager to begin Christmas, shortly after Halloween, and then can hardly wait to dump the tree, minutes after the last gift is opened. I really don't get it. It saddens me to see the dropped off trees so soon after Christmas, but the point is, does the good will and peace toward men go out so quickly with the tree? I'm one of those people who are dragged, kicking and screaming, into the Christmas season, but, once here, I relish it. I want the peacefulness of Christmas Eve afternoon to linger. I want the laughter, coming from the kids downstairs, to last in my heart so I can pull it out in mid-February when I'm a bit lonesome. I want to keep the tree up, at least figuratively, in my heart. Let's not be in a hurry to end the celebration of our Savior's birth, Friends! Technically, the season doesn't end until the Baptism of the Lord, which is on January 9...Love, heidi

No comments:

Post a Comment