Wednesday, January 25, 2012

Questions and answers

"I asked, 'What shall I do, sir?' The Lord answered me, 'Get up and go into Damascus, and there you will be told everything appointed for you to do.'"
Acts 22:10

We all have a conversion story. Even those of us, baptized as infants, have a moment or a time in our lives where our grown-up faith story begins. I remember even praying that I would do with my life whatever God called me to do. "Please just make it clear!" I prayed, knowing full-well that I needed a message just like St. Paul..."Get up and go to Kalamazoo, Michigan to school and work with blind people..." It was just that clear and the path just that straight! But, we really do have daily conversions, don't we? Each and everyday we are up against situations that may not be quite as clear as Paul's road to Damascus or my road to Kalamazoo. Each day, we have many times when we could say, "What shall I do, sir?" What shall I do about the difficult client or co-worker? What shall I do about the fact that I don't have a job or I have just received a bad diagnosis? The answers may be murky as well. But, if we take the time to be still and listen to the silence, the answers will come and we will have peace. I think sometimes we want the answers Hollywood-style and God doesn't work that way...well, God worked that way for St. Paul, but it is not always that obvious for us. Today, let's pray that little prayer of St. Paul at his most vulnerable state, "What shall I do, sir?" And listen and watch for the response. Love, heidi

No comments:

Post a Comment