Wednesday, February 15, 2012

20/20 vision...

"He took the blind man by the hand and led him outside the village."
Mark 8:23

There are so many wonderful metaphors in this whole gospel, but this one is my favorite. After taking the man out of the village, Jesus heals this blind man in stages, putting spittle on his eyes and asking him, "Do you see anything?" (It reminds me of my job, trying various low vision aids with a client and asking, "So, how is that?") "The Word Among Us" offers many good explanations, such as Jesus healing us in stages, too. Or our vocations, seemingly murky at first, gradually come into focus as we continue to be healed by Jesus, but it may not be crystal-clear all at once. But the metaphor I like best is Jesus taking the man by the hand and leading him where he wanted him to go. Jesus knows I need that kind of attention to get me to do what I should do! Jesus keeps working on the man until his vision is clear, he doesn't ever give up and say, "That should be good enough to read the headlines!" He stays with the man until the vision is clear and after that, he tells the man EXACTLY what to do. Yep, that is what I need! Love, heidi

No comments:

Post a Comment