Tuesday, May 29, 2012

Silence and prayer...

"Whoever tries to find interior stillness and cohesion will, little by little, obtain a different relationship to things and circumstances. Silence, prayer, and the affirmation of your interior life make you see things differently."
Fr. Wilfrid Stinissen, "This is the Day the Lord Has Made"

This was so true for me when I made the three-day silent retreat last summer! As a result of spending time in nature in Kansas, I discovered a pine tree towering over my yard in Idaho. As a result of spending time praying in the cemetery, I made many new friends. But the main lesson I learned when I spend time alone, is that I am never alone. It was a fascinating journey--one that I hope to make again and again. I need to carve out time in my "normal" life for silence and prayer, too, and that may be increasingly in the busy fun of summer. I will try, though, because Fr. Stinissen is so right-on here! Spending time, alone, in silence, is spending time with God. And that is crucial to our spiritual journey! Love, heidi

No comments:

Post a Comment