Wednesday, August 8, 2012

Give a little, get a lot...

"What you give to God--everything in your life that you freely offer to him--you get back in a form so that you can give it to others."
Fr. Wilfrid Stinissen, "The is the Day the Lord Has Made"

Yesterday, I went to see a lady at the same nursing home where Helen died a year and a half ago. I hadn't been back there since then...I was kind of avoiding going back. But, there I was. I felt her presence with me as I walked down the hall; the place brought back a flood of memories. Some of the staff has changed, so they didn't have the familiarity with me as I enjoyed back then, but then I saw an old friend. Missy, the old black dog, who always came around Helen's room for an illicit snack or two. She was laying in the hallway, still looking like she's never missed a meal (or a snack!) It was the sign of familiarity I needed to feel at home there again. I realized that the little I gave to Helen came back to me a hundredfold, as the nuns used to say. The little I opened up to this once-stranger in my life, the more gifts I received. Isn't that just like God to pull something like that? Blessings on your Wednesday! Love, heidi

No comments:

Post a Comment