Wednesday, March 27, 2013

Not I! Surely!

"'Amen, I say to you, one of you will betray me.' Deeply distressed at this, they began to say to him one after the other, 'Surely it is not I, Lord?'"
Matthew 26:21-22

Can't you almost see them, one by one, putting their fingers on their noses and saying, "Not it!" And don't we do the same whenever confronted with Who did this? Who made this mess? Who missed this call? Who forgot the deadline? By this time Jesus must have been reeling from frustration dealing with these guys. His love for them was great, but his frustration must have been brewing to a boil. That is why, this Wednesday of Holy Week, we must--today--own the responsibility of our faults. It was me, Lord, who didn't do right by you. I was the one who led the gossip at lunch. I was the one who pouted, ignoring the apology of another. I was the one who spewed all kinds of negative stuff out there into the universe. It was me. And I'm so sorry. Jesus needs us beside him this week and not the "us" that is sputtering that it is not our fault! Let us walk with Jesus, knowing that his love for us heals all of our failures. Love, heidi

No comments:

Post a Comment