Friday, April 26, 2013

Free to be me!

"Freedom in Christ produces a healthy independence from peer pressure, people-pleasing, and the bondage of human respect."
Brennan Manning, "The Ragamuffin Gospel"

I had to do a double-take on that last one. The respect of other humans is something we all strive for, isn't it? I must admit that so much of what I do and how I live is to obtain and retain the respect of other people. I want to be liked and well-thought of! But that is somewhat a bondage. I certainly cannot control what others think of me. And yet, if that is where I get my self-esteem and affirmation, I could be sorely disappointed! Others will think of me what they think of me. I shouldn't be as concerned about that as I am rejoicing in God's love for me, just as I am. Now, that doesn't give me a free ticket to be a hooligan! But it frees me up to be myself--the real me--faults, foibles and all. As an only child of older adults, I learned early how to converse with adults, impress adults, and, yes, please adults. And I've been honing my skills ever since. And, admittedly, not so much for the glory of God! I need this healthy independence from peer pressure, I certainly do! Let's think about why we do the good we do...is it for God's glory or our own? Is it impress our peers or get a pat on the back? Ponderous thoughts for a spring weekend! Bless yours! Love, heidi

No comments:

Post a Comment