Thursday, August 22, 2013

The future is now!

"To do your will, O my God, is my delight!"
Psalm 40:8

Really? Spend a few days in silence with God--just you and God--and it may be hard to take a verse like this one lightly.  You may find that what you think is God's will is really your will and God has something else in mind.  Finally, when I was quiet enough, God could share with me what I really need to do, and it was somewhat painful to hear.  One of the things I learned on retreat was that I can't get too caught up in the future and what it may hold.  I need to concentrate on the Right Now that is going on around me.  It's fun to think about the next step, but I need to look no further than where I am right now to serve God and fulfill my destiny.  My future is right now.  It was stunning for me to realize all this and it occurred on the last afternoon of my retreat.  I thought I was spending time discerning what I should do next with my life, once I retire.  "Not so fast," Jesus gently said.  When I asked what I should consider doing in the future, Jesus said, "You're doing it, Little Lamb," (Jesus called me Little Lamb on retreat and I quite liked it).  What I came away with is this:  Do what you're doing as well as you possibly can.  Do it for God, for the glory of God.  You don't know what lies ahead, but this is where you are to serve now.  And that is all that matters today.  All for the glory of God.  Love, heidi

No comments:

Post a Comment