Tuesday, September 10, 2013

Lessons learned...

"For I was hungry..."
Matthew 25:35
 
I had several thoughts after our day of prayer and fasting, last Saturday, I wanted to share.  First of all, I noticed how really lousy I felt all day and it struck me that people who are always hungry must feel lousy all the time.  They probably don't even know what it feels like to actually feel good and nourished.  I felt guilty diving into a yummy breakfast Sunday morning, knowing that for so many people, that empty-ache doesn't just last for one day...it continues and gets even worse.  Also, as the day went on, I noticed that I had a hard time concentrating and thinking straight.  I am grateful for school breakfasts and lunches to help kids get the nourishment they need to learn! And finally, I felt that I grew closer to the global community who also fasted and prayed for Syria last Saturday, and that felt very good.  We are a global family...spread out far and wide, east to west, but we are all related as human beings.  We, as compassionate, loving, Jesus-people need to walk in each others' shoes and experience the pain our brothers and sisters feel--even if just a day--we need to feel that empty ache.  Our prayers and solidarity must continue for Syria and other places of suffering in our world.  Let us commit to prayer and anything else we can do to ease the suffering of our brothers and sisters!  Love, heidi

No comments:

Post a Comment