Wednesday, January 7, 2015

Stilling the storm within...

"(Jesus) got into the boat with them and the wind died down."
Mark 6:51
 
There are so many aspects of this Gospel today (Mark 6:45-52) worthy of discussing, but this one sentence jumped off the page at me.  First, Jesus finished up with the five thousand, then he sends the apostles off in the boat and he goes to the mountain to pray alone. Then, the wind picks up and the apostles are tossed around the lake on the boat. Then, Jesus walks on the water toward them but he intends to go past them (?) They are terrified and Jesus reassures them, "It is I, do not be afraid: (v. 50). And, finally, Jesus climbs into the boat and the wind calms down. Phew! Epic Gospel! Like I said: much to discuss.  But, what I love today is that Jesus in our boat will calm the storm.  Inviting Jesus into our daily lives will calm the storm within us.  The storm may still seem to be there, but inside, we are calm because we have Jesus and he reassures, "It is I, do not be afraid."  This simple truth has played out so often in my own life that I can't count the times.  And the important part for me is the calming of the storm within.  The wind may still be howling, but, deep within, Jesus and I are calm.  It's incredible to think about!  I am on my way to Spiritual Direction School today, Friends!  Blessings on the rest of your week and weekend!  See you Monday...love, heidi

No comments:

Post a Comment