Friday, February 20, 2015

This, rather, is the fasting that I wish...

"This, rather, is the fasting that I wish...Sharing your bread with the hungry..."
Isaiah 58:6-7
 
Raise your hand if you have ever had this thought: "These pants should fit better after Lent!"  Come on, be honest! Each year I get this powerful message through prayer and readings:
 
If my Lenten sacrifice doesn't benefit someone else, it's a waste of my time and, basically, God yawns.
 
Any sacrifice I make must directly transfer to someone else's pocket or purse.  Period. This year, perhaps more than any other, I realize that any prayer I pray, deed I do, solitude I enjoy is only to prepare me for going out and serving others. "Others" being the operative word there, in that sentence.  I wonder how many Lents I will need to experience before I can finally practice what You preach, O Lord?  Love, heidi

No comments:

Post a Comment