Tuesday, November 27, 2018

Beginner's Mind...

 "You have to learn how imperfect you are. Eastern religions call this 'beginner's mind.' The more mature you grow, the more you discover that you are still a beginner; you still don’t know anything."
Richard Rohr, Daily Meditation, July 25, 2016

One of the things I've learned in the last five months since I changed my whole life is this: I don't know much at all. The new work I'm doing at the school is sometimes baffling. I have to ask the first grader how he got the answer to the math problem because I sure can't figure it out! I am new, new, new and it is ever apparent to me. Especially in my volunteer work at the day shelter I am so often over my head I essentially "lose it." I did yesterday and it haunted me all evening until I rested with it in prayer and realized something important. I am learning. I need to ask more questions than making statements. I need the "beginner's mind" that Fr. Rohr talks about and be in a learning mode instead of in a "fix it" mode I used to be in. I was at least able to feign competence in my old career, but here I can't cover up what I don't know as easily! It's right out there. So, even as we grow older and think we may know stuff, we don't know it all and it is easier just to admit that. So here goes...I don't know stuff! I am eager to learn and would like to know more! Please be patient with me while I learn!  Love, heidi

No comments:

Post a Comment