Monday, February 25, 2019

I believe! But!

"I believe! Help my unbelief!"
Mark 9:24

I think most of us can relate to this father's cry. Jesus had explained to him, "Everything is possible to one who has faith." And the guy cries one of the most honest prayers ever prayed. If we are honest, too, we'll admit that we have times of doubt. Why wouldn't we when we can look around and see such difficulty and chaos in our world? I think we could call it "reasonable doubt," like in the judicial system. But, as followers of Jesus, once we can settle down and be still for a moment, we can pray this honest prayer, "I believe, help my unbelief!" Jesus understands. In a few weeks we will follow Jesus into the Garden of Gethsemane and hear him pray desperately, If there is any way this cup can pass me by... Our reasonable doubt is understandable, but our healer for that is Jesus, who will sit quietly with us and remind us of all the times we have been gifted and healed throughout our lives. Jesus tells the disciples in the last line of this Gospel, "This kind (spirit) can only come out through prayer" (v. 29). That's a good reminder to us to sit still and let God be God, and let God heal our unbelief. Love, heidi

No comments:

Post a Comment