Monday, November 4, 2019

Seeds of love...

"The saints saw suffering more as a door than a wall. Not 'this is the end' but where does God's artistry lead next? Focused on God, they didn't over-identify with their own success or failure."
Kathy Coffey, "Give Us This Day" (2017)

I was reading an old journal from two years ago and reread this little gem. Wow, right? I think we are wired from childhood that success is always the goal. Why do anything if you're aren't going to succeed, I remember hearing frequently. But we may never see the fruit of the seeds we are planting in our lives now. The seeds may take a long time to take root, sprout and grow, and we may be long gone by the time the blooms show up. But that doesn't mean we don't try--put forth the effort, till and nourish the soil, water and care for the seeds. Behind all of our action, there is God, nourishing and caring for us. Yesterday at worship, just after receiving communion, I sat and savored the nourishment that I knew was filling me. Everything I need within myself to do God's work in the world is in that nourishment. And I'm so grateful! Today, as we go about a November Monday, let's remember that God gives us all we need to do God's work in the world. The soil of our hearts has been carefully tended and nurtured, our seeds of love are sprouting for all, let's go out there and share! Love, heidi

No comments:

Post a Comment