Monday, February 27, 2012

Love your neighbor!

"You shall not bear hatred for your brother in your heart...Take no revenge and cherish no grudge against your fellow countrymen. You shall love your neighbor as yourself."
Leviticus 19:17, 18

As it happens, having gone to mass Saturday evening, I spent yesterday completely on my own. I didn't talk to anyone except the cashier at Winco and my dogs. (By the way, I cherish days like this!) In reflecting on the day last night, I realized I felt better about my behavior. I wasn't around others, therefore, I was able to keep from gossiping, judging, bothering and I, briefly, cherished no grudge against my fellow countrymen. But, that is not a practical solution! Removing yourself from the world can be refreshing and wonderful, as I discovered on my silent retreat, but, eventually, you must return to the world, suck it up, and try harder to behave yourself! This first, full week of Lent, let's really try to love our neighbors...especially when we are amongst them! Love, heidi

No comments:

Post a Comment