Wednesday, April 4, 2012

Judas forgot

"One of the Twelve, who was called Judas Iscariot, went to the chief priests and said, 'What are you willing to give me if I hand him over to you?'"
Matthew 26:14-15

Much of what I learned of the bible was through movies when I was a kid. I was pretty sure that Moses really WAS Charlton Heston and I still shiver at the creepy black cloud that went around killing the Egyptian first born on the night of the first Passover. Likewise, I can still see the scene of whatever movie it was where Judas threw the thirty pieces of silver onto the floor, desperate to undo his betrayal of Jesus. He had a bad case of "betrayer's remorse" and went back to the chief priests and wanted to forget the whole thing. He wanted a Do-over, with him NOT being the bad guy. But, of course, the chief priests would hear none of it. They got what they wanted and the thirty pieces of silver was fine compensation for Judas. They were done with him. In his frustration, Judas threw the money down on the floor. Even as a kid, I could completely sense that frustration and desperation at wanting to undo his sin. How many times have words escaped our mouths and we wished we could gather them back in? How many times have we done things we wish we could just rewind the tape of our lives and do it right? Today is the day Judas gives in to sin and he isn't alone. Today let us walk with him into that desperate place of remorse and then let us remember Jesus and his mercy for us. That is what Judas forgot. Love, heidi

No comments:

Post a Comment