Monday, April 2, 2012

Holy Week

"My God, my God, why have you abandoned me?"
Psalm 22

We began Holy Week, yesterday, with some of the most beautiful scriptures of all! But, the Psalm, with its hauntingly beautiful melody stands out in my mind. We all know it--we've sung it since forever--and it is so beautiful. I remember, as a child, learning that Jesus said this from the cross, but I was older before I realized it was a Psalm. Jesus would have learned these scriptures as a child, and as he was dying on the cross, he recited what he knew. "My God, my God, why have you abandoned me?" Jesus was putting words to feelings we all have in our lives. Where is God in this situation? Where is God in this tragedy, this loss of life, this destruction and devastation? Where is God when we hurt? And the answer is what we commemorate each Holy Week. God is on the cross. God is in the midst of the earthquake. God is in the ICU unit. God is on the highway, in the midst of the horrible car accident. God is with us, every minute of everyday, no matter what is happening. And we have proof of this with Jesus, on the cross, saying exactly what we are thinking. God, where are you? And the answer, "I'm right here. With you." Love, heidi

No comments:

Post a Comment