Wednesday, May 9, 2012

Pick the right vine!

"Jesus said to his disciples, 'I am the true vine, and my Father is the vine grower...'"
John 15:1

The word "true" jumped out at me this morning when I read this and it seemed to me that Jesus was implying there are other vines we little branches may try to graft ourselves onto. There are, indeed, I realized. There are more worldly vines, such as the success vine, that puts us on the hamster wheel of trying to succeed at all costs, stepping over others or pushing others out of our way. There is the consumer vine that entices us to buy too much stuff we do not need so we need to have a garage sale to get rid of it all. There is the "it's not my problem" vine that detaches us from the world and its issues because, surely, we can't do anything about problems THAT big! There is also the vine that feeds us the message that we can do it all by ourselves, we don't need anyone or any God. There are many, many vines that may look appealing to us as we travel through life. But, just like Jesus says today, he is the True vine...the vine that gives us True life and feeds us abundantly. The vine that gives us the nourishment to bear True fruit. Let's make the right choice and swing on the right vine! Love, heidi

No comments:

Post a Comment