Wednesday, May 23, 2012

Word vs World

"I gave them your word, and the world hated them, because they do not belong to the world any more than I belong to the world."
John 17:14

Jesus points out here the disparity between the Word, or God's way, and the World, which would be Man's way or the, sort of, opposite way. For the sake of clarity in my own head, I divided a piece of paper into two columns and wrote Word on one side and World on the other. I jotted down things in my life that seem God-centered and others that seem World-driven. On one side I have prayer, silence, nature, service, sharing the gospel, even things like listening to K-LOVE or spiritual music and then I capped off the column with a summary statement, "It's not about me." The other column has things like, consumerism (those Kohl's ads!), over-indulging, gossip, judging, spending too much time thinking about money, irresponsible behavior, and the summary statement there was, "What's in it for me?" It seems pretty cut-and-dry when I see it in columns, but it sure can get muddy in actually living life, can't it? The world and its enticements seems so pervasive, but we must remember that Jesus conquered the world and he understands the daily conundrums we face each day. Thanks be to God, for that! Love, heidi

No comments:

Post a Comment