Wednesday, October 17, 2012

Kindness

"The fruit of the spirit is love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, generosity, faithfulness, gentleness, self-control."
Galatians 5:22-23

The ills of the world are many and our influence is only tiny. But a bunch of tiny kindnesses can add up and the world can be healed one person, one incident at a time. The other day, an older gentleman kindly held the door open for me at the Post Office. As I passed through, I said to him jauntily, "Why, thank you, Sir!" "No," he said as we walked through the Post Office together, "Thank you. For calling me Sir." Sometimes the smallest gesture can make a difference in another person's day. I was grateful the man held the door for me (Hey, I'm a child of the 50's, still a bit old-fashioned) and the man was grateful he was treated with respect. It's all so little in the over-all scheme of things. But the over-all scheme of things is really just made up of a bunch of little things, isn't it? Today, let's all be aware of the strangers around us. And let's try to treat them with kindness...as friends. Love, heidi

No comments:

Post a Comment