Monday, October 15, 2012

Loving the living...

"How I treat my brothers and sisters from day to day, whether they be Caucasian, African, Asian, or Hispanic; how I react to the sin-scarred wino on the street; how I respond to interruptions from people I dislike; how I deal with ordinary people in their ordinary unbelief on an ordinary day will speak the truth of who I am more poignantly than the pro-life sticker on the bumper of my car."
Brennan Manning, "Reflections for Ragamuffins"

Consider Jesus. Jesus didn't spend three years taking up a cause. Jesus spent his time on earth loving people. All people, from all situations and conditions...including sinners. Especially the sinners. Jesus loved people compassionately, passionately. It isn't enough just to love the people who are not here. We must genuinely love the people who are here, too. Pro-life means loving the living. It's easier to love an embryo than it is the homeless guy on the street or the murderer on death row. But we are called to love all. It's much easier to just put a bumper-sticker on our car. Love, heidi

No comments:

Post a Comment