Tuesday, October 9, 2012

What is a family?

"But he said to them in reply, 'Who are my mother and brothers? ...Whoever does the will of God is my brother and sister and mother.'"
Mark 3:33, 34

Our priest on Sunday asked us an interesting question in his homily; "How do you think Jesus would define a family?" After a wonderful liturgy, we discussed the question during breakfast (that is the sign of a stellar homily!) He had given us a couple of definitions he'd found, and one jumped out at me. "A family is a loving and supportive unit." I feel a part of many families, as it happens. I told my friends right then and there that they were family to me. We talk, share and visit fairly often and I feel their love and support constantly. I have a church family, a 4th day family, even a Zumba family. A group of good friends and I share a web page at "My Family.com," where we share recipes, photos of our antics, and books we've enjoyed. That group is definitely loving and supportive...another family. I have my family of Sisters of Charity, some of whom have known me most of my life and still love me! And of course, I have my family-family...cousins in Montana and Texas and my own kids, who are the lights of my life. Family. A loving and supportive unit. So true and so God-given. Love, heidi

No comments:

Post a Comment