Wednesday, November 28, 2012

Perfectly seasoned...

"The real saint proclaims the taste of God in all of life and not the taste of the saint."
Fr. Ed Hays, "Pray All Ways"
 
In this chapter on feasting and fasting as prayer, Fr. Ed Hays talks about how the salt on our food should enhance the taste of the food; you shouldn't actually taste the salt itself. Similarly, our spiritual actions or disciplines should emphasize God and not us. It makes so much sense to me, but still is such a radical concept. When I was in college, I would come home at holidays and visit one of my teachers, Irish Sister of Mercy, Sr. Evangelist. She was the one who first called me "Heididear," remember? One Christmas holiday I had my visitation with Sr. E and she asked, "What are you doing for Advent, Heididear?" "Advent?" I exclaimed, "You mean I have to do something for Advent AND Lent?" I was aghast at the thought of any type of self-sacrifice or spiritual discipline twice a year! But, as we ponder any special Advent activities (Advent begins Sunday!) let us remember Fr. Ed wisely telling us that our activities must not be about us. Any spiritual discipline should enhance God and not enhance ourselves. You shouldn't taste the salt...you should only enjoy the well-seasoned food. Love, heidi

No comments:

Post a Comment