Thursday, November 8, 2012

Praying is living...

"Praying is living."
Henri Nouwen, "With Open Hands"

Such a simple, and yet profound, statement. I remember, as a kid, learning to say my prayers. Time was set aside, before I went to bed, to say my prayers. I learned the "Our Father," "Hail Mary," and "Glory Be," and they were followed by intercessory prayers (I can still remember praying for "GrammaKatieRogers," all one word). Gradually, as I grew in faith, the prayers got more spontaneous and conversational. And, as a grown up, the command of Jesus to "Pray always," (Luke 18:1) has led me to this quote from Henri Nouwen, "Praying is living." How is our living prayer? Our living can be prayer if we think of it as a gift. Our lives can be a prayer of thanksgiving if we live joyfully and mindful of the good that we are. Our lives can be a prayer of service if we seek God's grace in all we are given to do. Our work is prayer as we do it faithfully and conscientiously. Our rest is prayer; as we drift off to sleep, secure in God's arms. Being aware that our living is prayer may keep us from saying unkind things about others...is what we are about to say worthy to be called prayer? Are the words we say or even the thoughts we think prayerful? Tough call, that! Today, let's think about how our lives are prayer...love, heidi

No comments:

Post a Comment