Thursday, May 30, 2013

In relationship

"What do you want me to do for you?"
Mark 10:51

You would think it would be so obvious to Jesus that Bartimaeus, the blind guy in Jericho, wanted healing of his vision. So why did Jesus ask? I think it's the same thing we've talked about God wanting from us all week...relationship. Jesus' question, "What do you want me to do for you?" is a conversation starter! Think about it. If Jesus wanted to, he could wave his arms over the crowd of 5000 and heal them all. Maybe he did, he certainly fed them all. But the gospel accounts of Jesus healing people usually involve Jesus talking to them, touching them, questioning them. The relationship is the important part to Jesus, whereas the people start out just wanting what they want. I had a powerful encounter with Jesus in prayer, where Jesus held out his hand and invited me to sit down next to him on a log, dangling our feet over a stream. Jesus wanted me to know he is always that close to me, not just then, but always. I was so grateful to just "be" with Jesus that I couldn't say much. Maybe I was star-struck! Maybe I just wanted to be close, in relationship. And that is what Jesus wants too. Today, let's consider: we don't have a relationship with Santa Claus, whom we just write to once a year and ask for stuff. Let's not treat God the same way. Love,, heidi

No comments:

Post a Comment