Tuesday, July 9, 2013

The path not chosen...

"Mary said, 'Behold, I am the handmaid of the Lord. May it be done to me according to your word.'"
Luke 1:38

I never leave Kansas without this feeling of wanting to stay and be a deeper part of this community (the Sisters of Charity of Leavenworth). In pondering these feelings, sitting in the gazebo swing in the middle of the Mother house campus, I realized something.  In saying "Yes" to a vocation, we must let go of another that would have been wonderful too.  In my case, saying Yes to marriage and family, I said "no" to the religious life I had briefly and tentatively explored in my early 20's.  I'm sure there are many sisters who hit a point where they are wistful for the life of marriage and family, and they may ponder their path not taken, too.   But, just as Mary, just a young girl, we answer the call we hear.  We discern that small voice that is deep inside, the call of God.  In my case, that was the call of marriage and motherhood.  I thank God each and every day for that gift of vocation and the life I have now.  Sometimes, though, it may be good to ponder the path not chosen, and realize that God gifts us with a longing for what is out of reach.  All that said, I have many rich and wonderful ponderings to share with you after three full days of celebrating at the Mother house!  Love, heidi

No comments:

Post a Comment