Monday, August 5, 2013

Hoarding or sharing?

"Take care to guard against all greed, for though one may be rich, one's life does not consist of possessions."
Luke 12:15

Surprisingly, within hours of hearing this Gospel yesterday, I was ordering shoes on Zappos.com!  How can I hear this vivid message in the Gospel, hear a reflective homily on same, and then bypass it completely a short time later? Oh, I can justify the shoes, mind you.  I may not actually keep both pair.  I haven't bought shoes in a while.  As fall looms ahead, I have a historical propensity for buying "school shoes." Living a simple life can be so challenging! But, as Sr. Melannie Svoboda asks in "Give Us This Day," "Where is our treasure? Does it lie in 'stuff' or relationships, possessions or people, hoarding or sharing?" So the flip side of hoarding is sharing, the flip side of treasuring our stuff is nurturing our relationships. Such good questions and truths to ponder on an August Monday! Love, heidi

No comments:

Post a Comment