Tuesday, September 17, 2013

A little more time...

"(Jesus) stepped forward and touched the coffin; at this the bearers halted, and he said, 'Young man, I tell you, arise!'"
Luke 7:14
 
As I read this today, I paused to ponder a little reflection on it in "Living With Christ."  This young man was raised from the dead and given back to his mother.  But he eventually died again.  Presumably after his widowed mother, so he could take care of her as long as she lived.  She had him with her longer, which was so critical in those days when widows with no children had to resort to begging to live.  It reminded me of my dog, Tess, who was about three dogs ago.  Tess was old and ill and, we assumed, at death's door.  Chris kindly agreed to take her in to have her put to sleep. (Chris always got the tough jobs!)  I was so sad and it was just such a hard time...for all of us.  I spent the day grieving for Tess.  Later, the doorbell rang and when I opened the door, there was Tess (and Chris)!  Turns out she had a bit more life left in her and could be treated for her ailment.  We had her another whole year!  By that time, we were all better equipped to go on without her and she died peacefully in my arms.  God gave us more time as Jesus gave the widow, and her son, more time. Today, let's pray for all those suffering loss, especially those who lost loved ones in the Navy Yard shooting...such a senseless, terrible loss.  Love, heidi

No comments:

Post a Comment