Tuesday, October 22, 2013

Be watchful!

"Blessed are those servants whom the master finds vigilant on his arrival. Amen, I say to you, he will gird himself, have them recline at table, and proceed to wait on them."
Luke 12:37
 
One of the meditations I did today on this reading suggested I pause and consider what it would be like to have Jesus wait on me, like the master in this reading.  I thought about it and it reminded me of one Holy Thursday when I was asked to have my feet washed during the celebration of the Last Supper.  It was uncomfortable in a humbling sort of way. I didn't know where to look while the priest was washing my feet...do I look at him? Do I thank him? Do I smile? Imagining Jesus waiting on me like the watchful servants in this Gospel made me feel a bit the same way.  I think we little humans, especially women, are wired to rather serve than be served.   So many of my elderly clients tell me they don't like being at the point of their lives where people have to help them.  They liked it better when they were doing the helping.  Today, let's be the watchful servants, ready to welcome Jesus whenever he comes into our day. And let's also be aware of Jesus giving himself in our service on the cross...the ultimate sacrifice any human can make! Love, heidi

No comments:

Post a Comment