Friday, November 22, 2013

Remembering President Kennedy

"Every American ought to have the right to be treated; as he would like to be treated, as one would wish to be treated, as one would wish his children to be treated."
John F. Kennedy

President Kennedy was not a saint, but he certainly is remembered on this day.  It seems like a lifetime ago that he was assassinated in Dallas.  Those of us old enough to remember can tell you just how we learned of the horror. The images are still burned into my mind.  (Lest anyone think I am much older than I really am, I was a very young, but impressionable, child!) What can we learn, these fifty years later, from the killing of President Kennedy?  Well, one thing is just what he says in this quotation:  Every human being has the right to be treated as one would wish his children to be treated.  If we can remember that today, we can be kinder, more forgiving, and a gentler society.  As I poured through many quotes, finding the one I wanted to use today, I came across one that made me laugh out loud.  Someone asked the newly inaugurated president how he liked his job and President Kennedy quipped, "Well, the pay is good and I can walk to work."  Let us honor his memory today by treating everyone we meet with kindness and peace, like we would want our children to be treated.  Blessings on your weekend! Love, heidi

No comments:

Post a Comment