Wednesday, January 8, 2014

Can I see your ID?

"Take courage, it is I, do not be afraid."
Mark 6:50
 
The disciples didn't recognize Jesus as he walked toward them on the sea.  They were terrified!  They thought they were seeing a ghost.  Jesus reassures them with this sentence, "Take courage, it is I, do not be afraid."  So often, as I move through my day, I know Jesus is around me, but wouldn't it be nice to have him ID himself?  In the TV show "Joan of Arcadia,"  when Joan first begins encountering God, she says to a stranger who comes up to her with an umbrella in a rainstorm, "Is that you (God)? Look, can we figure out some kind of way to do this? Some code word?" Joan wanted verification that she was talking to God and not some random stranger. She wanted an ID. As wonderful as it would be to have Jesus ID himself in any given situation, it is also good if we can think that Jesus could be anyone we encounter.  Any person we meet needs to be treated as we would treat Jesus.  No ID required.  Maybe that is why Jesus doesn't flash his ID around anymore, so we treat everyone we meet like we would treat him. Blessings on your Tuesday...Happy Birthday, Elvis!  Love, heidi

No comments:

Post a Comment