Friday, March 14, 2014

Be reconciled!

"Therefore, if you bring your gift to the altar, and there recall that your brother has anything against you, leave your gift there at the altar, go first and be reconciled with your brother..."
Matthew 5:23-24
 
I never met my aunt on my mom's side.  Mom had one sister and I never met her.  The reason was because my mom and her only sibling were estranged from each other for forty years.  It was some quarrel about the care of their mother, but the price of it was forty years of estrangement and a result was I never met my aunt.  I only met her son, my cousin Steve, when we found each other on-line many years later.  Thanks be to God, the two sisters reconciled with each other shortly before my aunt died in the early 80's.  In the late 90's, when my mom had a serious stroke and lost all sense of time and reality, she spoke of her sister often.  Weezie had been there for breakfast she'd tell me.  Weezie sent a box of pretty blouses she told me, after I'd complimented the one she had on.  At the end of her life, it was her sister who kept her company in her tiny room in Assisted Living.  I was so glad. The price of a lack of forgiveness is painful and sad. Jesus knew that forgiveness was crucial for our spiritual well-being.  No more eye-for-an-eye in Jesus' teaching.  Get past whatever-it-is that separates you....love each other.  If there is someone you are quarreling with reach out to them...soon.  Think of it as a Lenten thing if that helps.  Think of my mom and her sister who missed out on each others lives for so long...don't let that happen to you.  Love, heidi

No comments:

Post a Comment