Monday, April 21, 2014

Leave the bindings in the tomb!

"Still fragrant with myrrh, aloes, and other spices, the burial cloths were neatly rolled up and set aside. Without a body to envelop, they were merely relics of a tragedy that had now run its course; death had given way to life, the grave had surrendered its occupant. Upon discovering the discarded funeral bindings, the disciples 'saw and believed.'"
Elizabeth-Anne Stewart, "Living With Christ"
 
I really loved this yesterday!  Ms. Stewart goes on to ask what bindings we may need to shed and leave in the tomb so that we can go forth with the Risen Jesus.  Such a fabulous pondering!  What can I leave behind as a relic to the former me, who was wrapped up in burial bindings?  Well, I can leave behind my irritability with people and my harsh judgments.  I want to leave behind my sense of my own "right-ness" about things and accept that others are "right," too; their opinions just may differ from mine.  As I move out of the tomb with the Risen Jesus, I embrace his compassion and love for others and chose to emulate that to those I meet.  I want to love better!  Let's move out of this musty tomb! Let's go to Galilee!  (or at least let's go forth to do what we do this April Monday!) Love, heidi

No comments:

Post a Comment