Monday, July 14, 2014

Landscaping project!

"A sower went out to sow.  And as he sowed, seed fell on the path..."
Matthew 13:3-4
 
After this Gospel yesterday, I re-read the corresponding chapter in "Jesus: A Pilgrimage" for more to chew on.  Fr. James Martin poses the possibility that we may all experience all types of terrain in our own relationship with God.  I sat and pondered this for a long time and came up with some real examples of my own. To begin, what part of our lives is most fertile ground?  For me, my relationships with family and loved ones. It's easy to see the good fruit sprouting up and growing in those loving and nourishing relationships.  That said, where, in our lives, is our rocky ground?  Where we can't readily observe God's word changing us? I tend to hold onto hurts and grudges. I can easily wallow around in the past at the expense of the present. There are some big boulders, there, I'm afraid. And what about those thorny areas? I tend to jump to harsh judgments and just have a hard time with people who challenge me or need compassion from me. Those are some thorny bushes, I'd love to dig up and toss away!  God's word has immense power in our lives, but different areas of our lives may be more receptive to it.  What can we do to be more receptive in ALL areas?  I think our awareness of the areas in which we struggle is a start. We can certainly turn to Jesus for help in pulling out the thorn bushes and hauling in top soil!  The rocks may be a bit harder to move, though.  Love, heidi

No comments:

Post a Comment