Monday, August 25, 2014

Hi ho, hi ho, it's off to work we go...

"We are called to give of ourselves as Jesus did. To bring our bodies-ourselves-to places where we are needed: at home in a delicate family situation, in a hospital beside the bed of a dying friend, at work listening to a troubled coworker. But it can be difficult."
James Martin, SJ, "Jesus: A Pilgrimage"
 
Difficult, indeed! Beginning this week, I've worked in the blind rehabilitation field for thirty-five years. I know; it seems impossible to me, too!  But I started in Miles City, Montana, with Visual Services, thirty-five years ago.  I didn't know a single thing, but there I was, with enthusiasm and eagerness, to begin my life's work.  Fr. Martin says that Jesus was able to do what he did because of two things.  First, he did it all for God, the Father.  He was doing God's will, not his own and that gave him the vim and verve to deal with all the difficulties of his ministry.  Second, Jesus realized that his self-giving was an out-pouring of love and life for others.  His self-giving had a beautiful purpose.  I need to remember that as I begin Year 36 this week.  I work for God, doing what God has asked and equipped me to do, and for the benefit of those I serve.  And also, I wouldn't be able to do it at all if not for the love and grace of God, who gave me this career in the first place!  So, today, as we go back to school, or just begin another work week, let's remember who our REAL boss is! And let's do our work with life-giving love for those we serve.  Love, heidi

No comments:

Post a Comment