Wednesday, August 27, 2014

Life-long mission

"St. Monica (332-387 AD)  Born a Christian in North Africa, she married and bore three children..."
Living With Christ
 
We know the story of St. Monica...she was a faithful, devoted mother, whose husband and kids were not exactly the picture perfect family.  She prayed devotedly for them all and was rewarded, just before her death, by her husband and eldest son turning around. I am reminded of an elderly client I had years ago.  She was nearly 100 years old, still living on her own!  One day, she sighed to me, "I'm so worried about my daughter..."  I did a double-take.  "How old is your daughter?" I asked.  "Oh, she's 76.  She just found out she has diabetes."  "Holy cow," I thought.  Then I blurted out to this dear woman, "You mean I have to worry about my kids until they're 76?"  I suddenly realized that this raising children is a life-long mission! I may be 100 years old, but I will still be a mother and concerned about the kids.  Wow. Just wow.  So, we can look to St. Monica, whose oldest ended up turning out pretty well...St. Augustine.  St. Monica, pray for us, as we mother our kids until we take our last breath!  Love, heidi

No comments:

Post a Comment