Friday, December 19, 2014

God--the best giver!

  "If you then, who are wicked, know how to give good gifts to your children, how much more will your heavenly Father give good things to those who ask him."
Matthew 7:11
 
A friend and I stopped by the Christmas basket assembly last night to see if they needed any help.  We were able to do a wee bit of wrapping, but things were already nearly finished, thanks to the many, many angels and elves who have been working on this for weeks.  As I waited for scissors, I had a chance to just stand and take in the panoramic scene before me.  It seemed like miles of beautifully wrapped gifts, food, and bikes all ready for families to take them home.  I got teary.  It was such a sight.  It is a lesson in giving...in generosity...in caring...in love.  I thought that, as vast as this sea of gifts seems to me, God's gifts are even more plentiful.   I imagine it being like Jesus' miracle of the feeding of the five thousand.  It was its own miracle--the gifting of the five hundred.  The image will stay in my heart forever, I hope.  And I will always compare it to God's desire to give good things to those who ask. Amen! Love, heidi

No comments:

Post a Comment