Tuesday, April 7, 2015

Call my name!

"Mary Magdalene stayed outside the tomb weeping. And, as she wept, she bent over into the tomb and saw two angels in white sitting there..."
John 20:11-12
 
We all make the same mistake Mary makes in today's Gospel; we look for Jesus in the wrong place--among the dead. And, when she encounters the Risen Jesus a bit later in this Gospel, she doesn't recognize him. We can, easily, make that same mistake, too.  Jesus isn't to be found among the dead, even now, two thousand years later. Jesus wants to be recognized among the living. Mary mistook the Risen Christ for a gardener, which really makes me wonder, what did he look like? He must have looked human, but not like he did just a few days before.  That is Jesus today for us, too.  He is definitely human, but may not look like the Jesus we could easily recognize from religious art, holy icons or statues. Jesus, my Risen Lord, please help me to recognize you today in each and every person I encounter!  Is there a sign you can give me so I know it's you?  Maybe, just like you did for Mary, call me by my name...Love, heidi

No comments:

Post a Comment