Thursday, May 28, 2015

The obvious question...

"What do you want me to do for you?"
Mark 10:51
 
I have prayed often, in recent years, with this scripture.  Jesus asks the blind man, Bartimaeus, what he wants and at first it seems strange.  But the more I think and pray with it, the clearer it becomes.  Jesus asks Bartimaeus this most obvious question because Jesus wants to hear it from him.  Jesus wants relationship. Jesus wants a conversation.  Jesus could have just moved through the crowds of people and healed everyone of everything. So, why do the Gospels tell us stories of Jesus seeking people out, asking them obvious questions, touching them, engaging them and healing them one by one, person by person?  I think it is to teach us that Jesus wants that same type of interaction with us.  Jesus wants relationship, conversation, and engagement with us, too.  Jesus is thrilled to hear from us, even if it is the same old stuff we always bring to him.  We may think we sound like a broken record, but, to Jesus, who just delights in the sound of our voice, it is music.  Let's remember this question Jesus asks Bartimaeus today, as we go about our late-May Thursday.  "What do you want me to do for you?"  Oh, Jesus!  I just want you to BE with me through every minute of this day!  Love, heidi

No comments:

Post a Comment