Monday, August 24, 2015

To whom shall we go?

"Master, to whom shall we go? You have the words of eternal life."
John 6:67-68
 
I had a lovely Silent Sunday to devour this reading and it was rich and chewy!  Jesus' followers are finding his message in John 6 about eating his flesh and drinking his blood a little too hard to swallow (sorry), and they were leaving and returning to their old lives.  Jesus then asks Peter and a few others they plan to leave, too.  That's when Peter says, "Master, to whom shall we go?" Our homily Saturday night was about keeping our eyes fixed on Jesus and, thus, finding our way through those times of doubt and difficulty.  I can totally relate to that, remembering my times of difficulty with the Church.  It's no secret to anyone who knows me that I have struggled with the institutional Church, but when confronted with going to another church, my answer has always been similar to Peter's, "where else could I go?" The answer for me is the same as the answer for Peter: keep your gaze fixed on Jesus.  Even as Peter attempted to walk on the sea, beckoned by Jesus, he stayed upright as long as his gaze was fixed on Jesus.  When he looked down, he faltered and realized his fear.  So, no matter what troubles us, beguiles us, causes us difficulty and doubt, let's keep our eyes focused on Jesus, who will help us weather any storm.  Love, heidi

No comments:

Post a Comment