Monday, January 25, 2016

The gift of a sunset

Pedro Arrupe, SJ, one time the superior general of all the Jesuits, tells a moving story of visiting a very poor slum in Latin America, He celebrated mass for the people and, afterward, was invited to the home of one of the congregation. He puts it this way:

"I was undecided; I didn't know whether to accept or not, but the priest who was with me said, 'Accept, Father, they are good people.' I went to his place; his house was a hovel nearly on the point of collapsing. He had me sit on a rickety old chair. From there I could see the sunset. The big man said to me, 'Look, sir, how beautiful it is!' We sat in silence for several minutes. The sun disappeared. The man then said, 'I didn't know how to thank you for all you have done for us. I have nothing to give you, but I thought you would like to see this sunset...'"
Fr. James Martin, SJ, "My Life with the Saints"
Love, heidi

No comments:

Post a Comment