Friday, July 15, 2016

Feed the hungry--even on Sunday

"The Son of Man is Lord of the Sabbath."
Matthew 12:8

As difficult as it can be at times, I feel so much better about everything when I have had a very quiet Sabbath. When I can completely unplug from other distractions, I can center so fully on God and that helps every aspect of my life--my job, my relationships with my peeps, everything. When I can take the time to disengage for a while, my later engagement with the world is more productive; I have more to give the world if I re-fuel with God first. That said, I love the practicality Jesus teaches in this Gospel. He is in trouble (again!) for his disciples picking off heads of grain and eating them on the Sabbath.  His response? They are hungry. When people are hungry they need food and they should have it. Not some mysterious law or ritual that would prevent them from what they need because of what day it is.  It is the Spirit of the law that matters much more than the law itself. Jesus is so practical and sensible that no wonder the "WWJD" movement was so popular! What would Jesus do? He would feed the hungry even if it's Sunday...sheesh! Like there was a question? And, again, as we head into a summer weekend, our hearts and prayers are in France...hold those who suffer, Lord. Love, heidi

No comments:

Post a Comment