Tuesday, July 5, 2016

The harvest...the laborers

"The harvest is abundant but the laborers are few."
Matthew 9:37
 
When I was a kid and heard this reading, I thought Jesus was talking about religious vocations here.  The laborers were the priests and sisters who would dedicate their lives to doing the work of God.  Yes, those were the laborers.  I felt somewhat guilty that I might not be one of them, although the Sister Mary Ringo dream surfaced periodically.  (I was the weirdest kid!) Anyway, "Not so fast," says Jesus. We are all called to be laborers for the harvest, as I realized later.  The real "harvest" being doing the work of God...feeding those who are hungry, visiting the sick and imprisoned, the lesson of Matthew 25.  That "harvest" is the harvest we all need to roll up our sleeves and pitch in to help.  And as for a spiritual vocation: Any job we do with love and for the glory of God is a spiritual vocation.  So we are not off the hook here, Friends!  Anything we do for the good of others and the glory of God makes us laborers for God's harvest. So let's get out there and do it today!  Love, heidi

No comments:

Post a Comment